Who needs an epidemiologist?

Here's the story of me - a well-educated (but broke) woman trying to raise two wee boys, a husband, be Martha Stewart, Ty Pennington, and Rachel Ray all rolled into one, while desparately seeking a career in epidemiology (which is NOT the study of the skin).

Friday, February 09, 2007

Okay, let's get real!

Alright people, here's the deal. . .

Have you ever linked to a blog of a person you don't know but find the link on another site? Well, I do regularly - yes, it happens to be a little bit like stalking, BUT it led me to this important discovery - sometimes reading those blogs makes me feel like a crappy parent and really a little nauseous. That being said, I will make my VERY IMPORTANT point. It makes me wonder if I totally wonderfulize my life for the sake of looking good in this particular forum. I mean, when moms out there start speaking lovingly about their child's "flailing prostrations", I'm beginning to doubt their sanity. I would call that a good old fashioned fit that needs a good old fashioned swat on the butt! So, in honor of my child's prostrations, here is an honest overview of my day on Wednesday, feelings and all . . . .

7:00 wake up Mommy! Breakfast is great until Charlie proceeds to "drink" from JT's big boy cup and spill it. I sent him to his room to wait to get changed while I clean up the mud colored liquid off my newly bleached tile grout. In the middle of the cleaning, he comes to me saying, "Mommy, dis goss" (Mommy this is gross) with his hand extended. Poop. Everywhere. It would seem that he decided to change himself after pooping.

Surprisingly the rest of the morning went relatively well. Jon Thomas responded relatively well to the new moving of the chips discipline method (yes, I will be writing a book on this later to be titled "Getting through the preschool years without being arrested for abuse using plastic, colored poker chips"). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that kid, but sometimes I cannot STAND him. I mean it, sometimes I do not like him (how's that for wonderfulizing?) He can be whiny, overly needy, ARGUES WITH EVERYTHING and antagnizes his brother.

Note - - - this is much different from what I read on most other places where apparently the other older siblings of America stand lovingly by and attend to their younger siblings every need in VERY sensitive ways while never whining or bothering their moms.

So, the day passes. I work. Charlie sleeps. Jon Thomas plays and watches a little TV. We depart for Wednesday night supper where (seriously) I think Jon Thomas loses his mind. I really am thinking that he has some sort of undiagnosed allergy to some additive that makes him completely insane and not able to obey. I HAVE ALMOST convinced myself this is possible. He plays too rough with others, he screams, he demands dessert. I mean, so far, we are batting 3 for 3 in the "I can't stand it when you do that category" I have never been so glad to drop the kid off a choir in my life!

So, do you see what I mean here? My life IS FAR FROM PERFECT. Some days, it isn't even good. Woohoo, I feel unburdened. I feel lightened. I feel that I can proceed with my life now that you know these things about me. I think I've lost about 15 pounds just by breaking through the sugar coating. The best part is that I KNOW these other people feel the exact. same. way. They smile through it just like I do. Their kids try them just like mine do (well maybe not just like mine but close).

7 Comments:

  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Bridget said…

    Wait a minute...antagonizes his brother...??? You mean, siblings fight? A little late to be telling me that!!! :)

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger mk said…

    I just had this conversation the other day...you're not alone. Sometimes I told Emma I was going to run away last night and she told me I couldn't; obviously I didn't. Reading your blog made me feel like you must have been observing our household the past several days. Oh well, I'm hoping the terrible two's actually end before the age of 3 and that the 3's aren't any worse. A girl can hope, can't she?!

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Carrie - I feel your pain. Peyton is pretty much awful all of the time. Complains, screams, cries, kicks things, throws things, doesn't listen to a thing I say, demands 150% of my attention all day. It's almost as if I'm talking about a 2 year old - NOT A 4 1/2 YEAR OLD!!!!

    Somebody with a one year old told me the other day they heard the first year was the hardest, and they made it through the first year. I felt sorry for them because they don't know what's coming.... The first year is such a breeze!

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger amy said…

    carrie (this is wierd since i don't know you, but i grew up at Mountain Park & read your blog often from MK's, Cindy's, or Amber's). AMEN to you sister for cutting thru the crap. i have 2 boys (ages 3 & 15 mths) & there are many days where i say *out loud*... "someone is not going to live thru this day. it may be me, it may be you, but someone will probably not survive". we all have those days with young kids. some of us more often than others! keep your head up and know that this, too, shall pass! when that doesn't help, lock yourself in your room for 5 minutes or so like i do so that we all live to see tomorrow!! -- amy (scogginssaga.blogspot.com)

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Carrie-continue to be real- that is why we read your blog. Thankfully Jonathan isn't to the major annoying age, but he is getting there. I tried to tell him that I was on vacation yesterday, but he didn't buy it! Hang in there- I hear that one day we will look back on these crazy days with longing! Or:ake a quick walk outside, with a hersey's bar (or a bag of marshmellows- that you bought to make your darlings rice krispy treats with). Works for me!

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger Kimpossible said…

    You're back! Yay!

    OK, this is like what I would LOVE to go back to school and major in: The Mommy Myth. I think that's already a book title though. I have said all along that moms are not honest enough about how hard our work is. And when we are not honest then we devalue an already undervalued job.

    I just read a book called _The Mask of Motherhood_ and I think you might really enjoy it. It's all about how women are not passing down the TRUTH about raising kids ... not to themselves, their children, or anyone. If you say something bad about being a mom then it always has to be followed up with, "But you know I love them to death." Of course! But we also love our spouses and Lord knows that there are times when we want put them on a slow boat to China.

    I think it's hard being a mom. I only have one kid and I think it's hard. I will continue to say that it is hard until I have two, at which point I will say that it's hard to the point of sucking sometimes. And I do not have to follow that up with something positive just to prove that I am not abusive or weird or unloving.

    Saying that it's hard is honest, and I think that if more women did it then there would be a lot fewer unwanted pregnancies in this world, and thus a lot fewer orphans and abortions.

    So there.

    Amen, sista.

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Joy Peterson said…

    You have no idea who I am, and I found your blog by looking at several others...but I felt I must comment on this post--you seriously need to write a book--your blogs are so funny! I have a 5-month-old daughter whom I completely adore--but she is my only child. Growing up with 4 other siblings - you hit the nail on the head! Please don't think I am a crazy stalker person...please read my blog to find out that I am somewhat normal.

    Thanks for the laughs! I'll have to come back for a site visit soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home