Who needs an epidemiologist?

Here's the story of me - a well-educated (but broke) woman trying to raise two wee boys, a husband, be Martha Stewart, Ty Pennington, and Rachel Ray all rolled into one, while desparately seeking a career in epidemiology (which is NOT the study of the skin).

Friday, September 15, 2006

My New Commute!

Shew, I finally made it work this morning! My big commute from the bed to the kitchen for my morning dose of Coke and straight over to my computer - it was tough. For a moment there I thought there might be some road construction but I quickly realized it was just the remnants of last night's Little Tykes truck parade in my den! It was touch and go there for a minute or two.

Since I haven't posted anything good in a while (except, of course, for pictures of my lovely kiddos) I thought I might discuss the following topic: Milestones reached by members of your family that you're are totally elated by but really not many other people can share in your joy.

Here they are . . .(listed in descending order of importance)

1. The ability to buckle one's own seatbelt over one's own booster seat. This has really changed my life in that now I say, "Jon Thomas, go get in the car and buckle up." I can send him out a full five minutes before I go out to have a moment to compose and gather all those things that need to be transported to the car, which include another human being.

2. The ability to do the nightly teeth brushing routine all alone. This occurs with the help of Agent Cool Blue - a lovely product sold at all local WalMarts that you should all invest in.

3. My children have finally mastered (namely the older of the two) the ability to play independently for more than 20 minutes at a time while I actually accomplish things!

4. It has taken 8 long years to get this one down - but older male members of my household have finally realized there is no garbage bag fairy who replaces the bags after he takes the full ones out, so HE DID IT HIMSELF! I was shocked into stunned silence when this first occured! Now we are working towards replacing DVD's in their own cases!

5. Charlie's milestone is small but a milestone for me nonetheless. We are trying to instill a helping spirit in our youngest and thus we have him take his dirty clothes to the laundry room each night. However, many nights I go into the kitchen to find his clothes in the GARBAGE CAN instead. Have you ever tried to clean coffee grounds out of knit shorts? Not fun. But now, he has successfully made it to the laundry room every night this week!

These are just a few of the little things that my family can do all by themselves! I look forward to hearing about your milestones!

7 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger mamasykes said…

    YEA! for the trash bag replacement. I still have 2 more years before that milestone is reached. Glad to know I'm not the only one who trips over trucks!

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    I am truly impressed and jealous. Peyton can buckle his seat belt, but you have me beat everywhere else!!!!

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    way to go with the trash bag replacement. I'm completely in agreement that we should celebrate small milestones. Jonathan recently took his shoes to his room and put them in the basket! I was so excited. I can begin to put him to work! we are starting to clean up toys and he "helps" me with the laundry! He is growing up! :)

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Amber said…

    that just made my night.. i dont realize how much i miss you until i read your blogs.

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger Bridget said…

    I am with Amber...I miss your stories every day!

    The seat bealt thing is great isn't it? I can't wait until I can say "Go take your bath!" We are so close!

    Let me know how the DVD replacement training goes...if there is a class Jim needs to be enrolled! :)

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger SC Rocks said…

    Small or big, they both count. We are working on 10 years for the trash bag replacement from the biggest kid in the family - I think he enjoys the fact that the youngest thinks its her job!

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Kimpossible said…

    This is good. I like this post. Why don't you have time to post more? It's not like you have a lot going on or anything.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home