Who needs an epidemiologist?

Here's the story of me - a well-educated (but broke) woman trying to raise two wee boys, a husband, be Martha Stewart, Ty Pennington, and Rachel Ray all rolled into one, while desparately seeking a career in epidemiology (which is NOT the study of the skin).

Monday, October 16, 2006

How can it be possible?




Now that Charlie has reached the communicating stage, I am having to eat yet another batch of words - not just a small, toddler sized mouthful but an ENTIRE cafeteria style, all-you-can-eat tray! When Jon Thomas was little, it seemed as though all my other Mommy friends literally drugged their kids. When we were out in public, theirs would be nicely riding in the cart, gently playing with a toy, etc. I, of course, would feel the need to comment on this when Jon Thomas's ear piercing squealing/playing/talking would reach a fever pitch. EVERY TIME, they would say, "oh, he/she is not like this at home", and EVERY TIME, I accused them of lying through their teeth. Well, now I have one of those children of my own, and I must concede that he is not the same in public as he is at home.

If you look at these photos , you'll see Charlie's "in public" face. He WILL NOT even look at people he does not know well (well=lives with on a daily basis)! He will not talk in public, he will not smile in public, and he will not make eye contact with other people. He will quietly play with a toy. He rarely strays from my side. Who is this kid?


Let's take a moment and contrast this with his brother, who at the age of 2 1/2 invited a homeless man home with us to jump on our trampoline. Hmmmmm. . .

It totally amazes me every day how I absolutely adore both my children but THEY ARE SO DIFFERENT! How did this shy, reserved, calm child come from me? I honestly do not understand it.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Carrie - I think this is so funny! I know I am one of those people you were talking about! I remember you not believing me when I told you he was different at home. Peyton still acts completely different in public than at home.

    I can't believe how big Charlie is getting!

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger mk said…

    I guess God thought you needed a break. Where were JT & Jonathan?

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Bridget said…

    Oh my gosh Charlie is such a big boy I might cry!

    I know you aren't talking about me...I am hoping to have a reserved one in April... :)

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger SC Rocks said…

    I just wish that mine could be content to sit quietly anywhere for just one minute. Be thankful for small wonders!

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Amber said…

    i think theres a mysterious man out there that we both slept with before having mason and charlie. the only thing i know about him is that he is quiet, wont make eye contact, and he's deathly scared of moon walks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home