Who needs an epidemiologist?

Here's the story of me - a well-educated (but broke) woman trying to raise two wee boys, a husband, be Martha Stewart, Ty Pennington, and Rachel Ray all rolled into one, while desparately seeking a career in epidemiology (which is NOT the study of the skin).

Thursday, May 03, 2007

To Three or not to Three

There is a big debate going on around our house . . . in reality there isn't really a debate - Jonathan and I are each standing steadfast in our completely opposite decisions about whether or not to have a third child.

For me, I change my mind every day - today for example, I'm feeling like two is my number. Both kids are outside playing in the sandbox together while I type - which is really nice, er uh more like terrific! So, I think to myself, why would you want to return to the world of sleep deprivation, crying, nursing again. Here's why . . . I feel like I missed out on something during Charlie's babyhood, maybe I took it for granted or something (mainly because at that time Jonathan was into the idea of having more kids). Then there was a move when Charlie was three months old and all the emotional turmoil that comes with uprooting your entire life and going to live in a place where you do not know one singly solitary soul. At times I think that I might die at the prospect of never nursing another baby in the middle of night or slathering Baby Magic (original scent only) on another tiny bottom.

Jonathan, on the other hand, wants no part of another baby. His perspective is that we have two precious children who are on the cusp of doing totally fun things like camping, fishing, etc, so why would we want to rock the boat.

What a conundrum! What IS a girl to do?

9 Comments:

  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger mamasykes said…

    I'm right there with you chick! I think about how wonderful they are and then I think how I love my sleep. I think I'll just steal Juli's for now.

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    you aren't alone!! we are in the same debate about a second one. We have decided to let the Lord decide- it took us so long to have one......

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Bridget said…

    I was happy with one...but now thrilled with my girl....so I am no help. We did like coupon queen said, and let the Lord decide! Jim is DYING for a 3rd already...I think right now he is out of luck.
    By the way....when I read your post I had to think, "At least they won't find a black sharpie in the sandbox!"

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Blogger mk said…

    I totally understand! I used to say I wouldn't have 3 kids because I didn't want to have a middle child. After going through what it took to get the 2 we have, I think I'd like to have one more. However, I keep a one year old during the week now and it's making me think twice about having a 3rd - getting even less sleep than I do now, having to deal with diapers all over again, etc. Those things are all temporary though, so we'll see how God feels about adding to our family.

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger amy said…

    (warning... blog stalker comment). i grew up at mountain park & read your blog from time to time from the link on amber's, mk's, or cindy's.

    i don't comment b/c of the psycho stalker factor, but i couldn't help myself this time. i am in the exact same situation. i would LOVE to have another child (we have 2 boys also) and see if we could have a girl. my husband won't even consider the idea. for all of my longings, though, i often think of the sleepless nights, nursing for a year, and all of the other "blessings" of a baby. i don't know, for me the positives far outweigh the negatives.... i'm going to keep working on him, i think! :0)

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Mother of the Year said…

    Amy, don't worry about being a psychotic stalker, I totally link to your blog too!

    Mama Sykes, so glad you commented. I lost your emain and blog address when my other computer crashed and haven't been able to keep up with you since. Will be able to remedy that now.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Amber said…

    i think we are all in the same boat on this one. its pretty funny b.c i was having this exact conversation with a friend today. we are starting to have a normal life again as well and the thought of neverending crying, inserting a fallen out pacifier 8 times in 2 minutes or putting that nasty waxy junk on my sore nipples ten times a day makes me want to throw in the towel.

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Kimpossible said…

    One other addition to this nearly one-month old conversation (sorry, we've been superbusy) ... the world is already overpopulated, so why don't y'all compromise and BUY a baby ... like from China or Russia or Guatemala or somewhere else fun in the sun? No chance of sore nipples ... you can probably even put in for one that's sleeping through the night already. That's our next big thing, I think.

     
  • At 5:07 AM, Blogger SC Rocks said…

    When you start off with a child when you get married, it makes that decision a little easier. I have my own two and am quite content with them - stepkids can be great in their time too(not that I am promoting divorce as a possibility to add to the mix). Just let God do the decision work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home